Missouri Breaks

Random thoughts, political opinions and sage advice from the midlands.

Name:
Location: Kansas City, Missouri, United States

I am a former UPI journalist now operating from behind a public relations desk located in a blue city but a red state.

Wednesday, January 28, 2004

Wednesday, January 28

Sen. Kerry wins New Hampshire. It would be fairly safe to assume that he is well on his way to winning the nomination. By the time we finish with the Missouri vote next week, he may well have it though I find it very unlikely that he will poll well in South Carolina.

I was close to jumping on the Dean bandwagon, but Dean began striking me as someone a little like former candidate Bob Dole. He often tried humor, and often was funny, but it always had a cutting edge, seemingly on the side of meanness, more like sarcasm than humor. Dean definitely proved thin-skinned when others began attacking him, and frankly, he better learn to expect that if he runs against Bush. There are no meaner campaigners than a GOP blitz.

Who will I vote for in Missouri. At this point in time, Kerry. He has always seemed - at least on the resume - the most capable, but he struck me as singularly aloof, often goofy (the motorcycle on Leno and the announcement in front of an aircraft carrier). His wife will not be an asset either, judging from her early comments. But lately, having seen him work with a crowd, I think he may have the heart of a campaigner. He seems to be growing into it.

Bottom line: which Democrat has the best chance of defeating Bush? Earlier, I thought no one, and therefore I liked Dean since he was not letting the President slide by. Attack, attack, attack and call a spade a spade. But now that Kerry has gotten into the fight, he might be the one. At least I think so at the moment. He's probably got my vote Tuesday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home