Missouri Breaks

Random thoughts, political opinions and sage advice from the midlands.

Name:
Location: Kansas City, Missouri, United States

I am a former UPI journalist now operating from behind a public relations desk located in a blue city but a red state.

Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Hey-Ho, taking off the gloves!

Interesting little note from the Columbia Journalism Review:

A different kind of politically active Hollywood type is featured in The New Yorker. Errol Morris, who has directed a number of documentaries, including the Oscar-winning "The Fog of War," a portrait of Robert McNamara, is now producing a series of political ads featuring Republicans who have switched their allegiance from George W. Bush to John Kerry. Using the "Interrotron," which he invented and "uses two-way mirrors to project his face across the lens of the camera as he interviews people," Morris shot the spots without props or music against a sheer white backdrop, in an effort to make central the "unscripted 'eloquence of ordinary citizens.'" After Kerry's people dragged their feet on the project, Morris took the idea to MoveOn, which will air one of the ads during the Republican Convention, and may spend millions on them in the coming months. One possible spot features Texan Deborah Wood, clad in a red flannel shirt, saying, "I don't like to be lied to. I can handle the truth. Where are these mobile labs? Where's the W.M.D.s? Where's the smallpox? If I were a mother of one of those people that were killed--the soldiers that were killed over there--I'd want to know. My kid has died because of you, my kid is dead in the ground because of you. I feel very betrayed. I feel like this whole country is betrayed."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home