Missouri Breaks

Random thoughts, political opinions and sage advice from the midlands.

Name:
Location: Kansas City, Missouri, United States

I am a former UPI journalist now operating from behind a public relations desk located in a blue city but a red state.

Thursday, February 05, 2004

Alright. Let's talk about Howard Dean.

It's surprising that any words of wisdom would ever come out of the mouth of a Republican, but for one brief shining moment, it did. I won't give his name, because it doesn't really matter. And it was just that one time that he will ever say anything particularly insightful. But I digress.

Howard Dean. Early on, he was catching my attention because he seemed to be the ONLY Democratic candidate other than the periphery bottom feeders in the pack who would call Bush the idiot he is. And so, I gave him some consideration. But as the voting time drew near in Iowa, and my interest in this campaign heightened, I caught Kerry and Edwards on C-Span giving full speeches to their respective rallies. No soundbites. Full speeches. And I was quite impressed. Prior to that, I thought Kerry was rather boring and too Senatorial (Senate-speak). Of Edwards, I had no opinion at all, but that he likely had no chance against Bush at all. But I was intrigued, so much that when the polls suddenly shifted away from Dean and more to Kerry, I was not surprised at all.

Tuesday I voted for Kerry. Two months ago I would probably have voted for Dean. I voted for Kerry primarily because I felt he had a better than good chance to defeat Bush - which is the No. 1 priority of the nation, I hope. I really don't know all his positions. I am not happy with his vote regarding the Iraq war. I think his position on "marriage" by gays is a cop-out. I still think his wife is slightly loony. BUT I THINK HE CAN WIN.

And that's the story, Howard. You created a lot of excitement early, but no one seriously wanting Bush defeated believe that you can do it. THAT is why your numbers are falling dramatically. You ran a good campaign Howard, but you better save what's left of your money and reputation. Go out with a smile, and support Kerry and/or Edwards heartily. And no, you are not a serious vice presidential candidate either.

Here's why, Howard, and this is where I add in the Republican insight (am I really saying that?).

The extreme wing of any party gets high attention early. It's what that evil portion of our heart really likes - taking an extreme political positions (ok, maybe just some of us). And the extreme side always believes that their position is the RIGHT ONE, and that people will inevitably flock to it ONCE they grasp the truth. But no, that is not reality. That is exactly what the Republican Party had happen in 1964 with Barry Goldwater ("In your heart, you know he's Right" was the slogan). Democrats countered with, in your heat, you know he's crazy. His campaign almost destroyed the GOP and worst still, ensured that Lyndon Johnson would escalate the war in Vietnam. We have a very moving memorial in Washington, D.C., now we can thank for that campaign.

And then there was McGovern. It is not quite the same as Goldwater, but similar. There were OTHER good candidates, but McGovern's anti-war, full-tilt liberalism sucked the Democratic Party in to thinking that people would follow him "as soon as they grasp the truth." They didn't. He scared them.

And that sums up Dean. Long term, he scares us. And for good reason. We ducked a bullet. We actually have a chance to defeat Bush, but we would have thrown it away with Dean.

That doesn't mean we dislike you Dean. Thanks for getting that early message out there that Bush and all he stands for is so un-American. But please go gently into the night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home